Cordless rotary tools are essential DIY kits. They are battery powered, portable and can be used in hard-to-reach places. In this roundup, we’ve rounded up some of the best cordless rotary tools you should be using for all your crafts, gigs, or work.
What to Look for in a Cordless Rotary Tool
There are hundreds or thousands of brands of cordless rotary instruments out in the wild. Knowing what to buy can be tricky if you haven’t used it before. Here are some factors to consider before buying:
- wireless: It should go without saying, but a cordless rotary should be cordless – cordless. But since electric and cordless rotary tools often look the same, beginners can get confused.
- Task typeA: After making sure you are really looking for a cordless rotary tool, you need to figure out what kind of work you would like to use it for. Light household chores require a different type of cordless rotary tool than heavy duty jobs.
- Speed settingsA: Understanding your task will help you decide which type of variable speed rotary tool to buy. Some rotary tools have three different speed settings (in RPM), while others have more and can do more as a result.
- Battery Life/Running Time: The more your cordless rotary tool works, the weaker it is. battery receives. As a result, cordless rotary tools often come with USB chargers, and some support fast charging. Charging time and operating time must be well balanced for optimal results.
- LED indicators/LCD display: LED indicators let you know what’s going on with your cordless rotary tool. LCD displays on rotary tools can also be used as a backlight, allowing you to work in low light conditions.
Best Overall: DREMEL Lite 7760-N/10 Cordless Rotary Tool
- ✓ Ideal for home use and uncomplicated use
- ✓ Four speed settings from 8000 to 25000 rpm.
- ✓ 10 free accessories with quick accessory change and LED battery indicator
- ✗ Not suitable for cutting, drilling or milling
If you often do small DIY jobs and crafts, then the DREMEL Lite 7760-N/10 cordless rotary tool is perfect for you. In fact, it’s our top pick for the best cordless rotary tool. It comes with 10 free accessories for most of your projects and can easily handle anything from woodworking to carpentry, car care, jewelry making and more. However, it is not ideal for milling, cutting and drilling.
Changing accessories is easy with the patented EZ Twist Nose Cap that eliminates the need for a wrench. It has a 1.8″ collet and is variable speed from 8000 to 25000 rpm with four speed settings. This 4V battery powered tool features a low battery LED indicator and can be charged using a USB charger. Portable and lightweight, it offers comfortable handling for enhanced maneuverability. It is also compatible with most other DREMEL accessories.
DREMEL Lite 7760-N/10 Cordless Rotary Tool
The DREMEL Lite 7760-N/10 cordless rotary tool has four speed settings from 8,000 to 32,000 rpm. It is ideal for light duty applications (soft or hard wood/metal, stone or glass).
Best Budget: HARDELL Mini Cordless Rotary Tool
- ✓ Best for DIY and light use (carving, sanding, sanding, polishing and cutting)
- ✓ Five speeds from 5000 to 15000 rpm with LED light
- ✓ 55 free accessories for various applications
- ✗ Not suitable for heavy work
No matter who you are or where you are, there is a cordless rotary tool for you. If you want to save some money without sacrificing quality, you should get the HARDELL Mini cordless rotary tool. This is our top pick for the best budget cordless rotary tool. It is suitable for carving, grinding, grinding, polishing and cutting, among other things. It is also not recommended for heavy projects.
The HARDELL cordless mini rotary tool has five speed settings from 5,000 to 15,000 rpm for a variety of applications. Powered by a 3.7V battery, this tool can operate continuously for up to 200 minutes on a single charge. It can be charged with USB fast charging. Its built-in LED light helps eliminate shadows and blind spots so you can work safely even in dimly lit areas.
Best Premium: DREMEL 8240 Cordless Rotary Tool
- ✓ Suitable for DIY, light and heavy duty use
- ✓ Adjustable speed from 5000 to 35000 rpm with LED light
- ✓ Five free accessories for various applications and a wrench
- ✗ Battery life could be better
If you’re on a bigger budget or need more rotary power, choose the DREMEL 8240 cordless rotary tool. It’s our top pick for the best premium cordless rotary tool. Rated at 12V, the DREMEL 8240 has nearly three times the power of the DREMEL Lite 7760. With a variable speed of 5,000 to 35,000 RPM, it can be safely used for light to heavy duty applications including cutting, sharpening/sanding, polishing / cleaning, grinding and drilling, among others.
It takes about 65 minutes to fully charge it until you get a steady full battery indicator. In difficult conditions, it can work up to 10 minutes, and in light conditions – up to 20 minutes. Changing nozzles on the DREMEL 8240 is also quick and easy thanks to the same patented EZ Twist Nose Cap design found on the DREMEL 7760 Lite. Unlike the 7760 Lite, the DREMEL 8240 comes with a wrench and five other accessories.
Best for Creativity: Phalanx RS Mini Cordless Rotary
- ✓ Suitable for handicraft, DIY and light use
- ✓ Three speed settings from 5000 to 18000 rpm max.
- ✓ 60 free accessories for various applications
- ✗ For light use only
The Phalanx RS Mini cordless rotary tool is a versatile 3.7V cordless rotary tool that will take your work to the next level. With adjustable three speed settings from 5,000 to 15,000 rpm (no load) and 60 different accessories, there’s a lot you can do with this cordless Phalanx rotary tool. This includes drilling, cutting, carving, sanding, polishing, and shaping nails, among others. It is ideal for use in light conditions.
Compact, lightweight and ergonomic design makes it feel like a real pen in your hand. Thanks to the variable speed settings and the included accessories, you can easily turn your blank into a canvas. Its one-touch power button makes it easy to switch speeds and control the device. It also has LED indicators to indicate the change in speed. It’s also carefully engineered to dissipate heat efficiently, extending battery life.
Best for crafting
Cordless rotary tool Phlanax RS Mini
The Phlanax RS Mini cordless rotary tool has three speed settings from 5000 to 18000 rpm. Ideal for all kinds of light crafts.
Best for Professionals: Milwaukee 2460-20 Cordless Rotary Tool
- ✓ Useful for crafts, DIY, light and heavy professional use.
- ✓ Adjustable speed from 5000 to 32000 rpm.
- ✓ Free accessories include a wrench, five cutting discs and a mandrel.
Unlike the Phalanx RS Mini cordless rotary tool, the Milwaukee 2460-20 cordless rotary tool is designed for everyday, home, light and especially heavy professional use. Like most other Milwaukee tools, this 12-volt battery-operated rotary tool has enough power to get the job done. It has a variable speed range from 5,000 to 32,000 rpm (no load) and a variable speed scale that makes it easy for you to tackle any task you are given.
With a 1/8″ collet (compatible with all accessories with 1/32″ and 1/8″ shanks), it can be used for thousands of heavy-duty cutting, grinding, grinding and polishing applications. It comes with a USB charging port that allows you to quickly charge the battery (not included) when needed. It also has dedicated LED indicators that alert you to key features and events, as well as provide backlighting.
Best for professionals